Sunday, March 9, 2008

David Lowery on Mr. Lonely


Last night I walked out of a movie after its first thirty minutes and wondered what the hell I was doing wasting my time with movies like this, with movies in general, with this very art form.

Tonight I saw Harmony Korine's Mr. Lonely. It made my heart swell up. Every image set off bursts of ideas and emotions and wordless hyperboles blooming across my brain; grandstanding thoughts and deep feelings and one very clear resolution: I was right all along. This is what I need to be doing.

What else to say about it now? The film is a masterpiece of iconographic narrative. It is a sublimely simple story wrapped around a mantra that slipped from the screen with the grace of some artisinal knife, delivering Korine's point so sharply and with such profound precision that when it was withdrawn I almost instantly forgot the words used to convey it. They were delivered by a faux-Queen, speaking from the heart, and perhaps I'll recall them in the morning. It's been a long day.

1 comment:

Almost Precious said...

Odd isn't it, that in the beginning all blogs start out with zero comments. So tragic, as this is superbly written. But such is the fate of man, to speak eloquently into the wind, to bare our souls for no one to hear. But again, this was in the beginning and things are different now. :)

 
Pinecone Stew